As an independent and democratic organisation, Cycling UK's activities reflect the commitment of all their members, volunteers and partners, making a lasting difference to the lives of individuals and communities.
The Community Cycling Clubs lead bike rides for people within their area / community, teaching people how to cycle and in some cases, teaching basic bike maintenance skills.
They are looking for volunteers who would be able to help within the existing clubs and any future ones to emerge; From leading a bike ride to teaching someone to pedal, you could help someone go from no cycling skills to leading their own rides.
As a Volunteer:
- You will need to be able to ride a bike confidently
- Be willing to take others out, either during the day on weekdays or weekends, with the option of evening rides once the evenings are lighter.
- With provided support and initial training you will be required to plan and risk assess your routes and rides, keeping a record of attendees and any health and safety requirements. All information regarding this will be provided in your initial induction.
- Each club has a Club Secretary, you will need to keep regular contact with them, providing them with the above information.
Clubs are situated all over the city, so dependent on where you are located, steps will be taken to ensure you find a club that suits you and your location.
Cycling UK, will support you throughout your volunteering journey with them and can offer a variety of training.
- Group Leader
- National Standards Instructor
- Basic Bike Maintenance
- Advanced Bike Maintenance
- Mountain Bike Leader
- First Aid
All training is supported by the Local Development Officer, Vanessa Morris.
- Ride Leader - Taking people out on a led bike ride, varying distances and routes to suit the group;
- National Standards Instructor - Teach People how to ride a bike at Level 1, Level 2 & Level 3;
- Bike Mechanic - Help looking after Club bikes and if suitable, teaching bike maintenance and skills to members;
- First Aid - Assisting if accidents / incidents occur.
This is an ongoing opportunity, and frequency of volunteering is at your discretion and can be discussed upon contact.